Daily Travel Photo: Iglesia del Carmen

Iglesia del Carmen Antigua Guatemala

Iglesia del Carmen Ruins in Antigua

This ruined church is called Iglesia del Carmen and it resides in Antigua, Guatemala. It was wrecked by a major earthquake in the 1700′s. During the day, street vendors line up in front of the church to sell crafts to tourists. I took this photo at sunrise while some of them were setting up early.

Make Money With Your Travel Blog

Do you wish your blog paid for your vacations? Learn how to build a successful travel blog with the same online course & community that's helped me travel the world for the past 4 years. They are having a very special 25% off sale -- this week only! Don't miss out.

1. Mina
    December 25, 2010

Already one of my favorites…Iglesia del Carmina, you say? See, I’m always with you… ;)

2. Christy
    December 23, 2010

Love this pic! I love taking pics in Gaute where the volcano is in the background. It just adds to the photo.

3. Philip
    December 22, 2010

Can’t say as I blame you Matt. I love Guatemala. For a people who have gotten the short end of the stick for millenia. they are by and large warm, open, engaging and heart-felt.

4. Philip
    December 20, 2010

Yep, I walked by that church all the time while in Antigua. Great lighting. Getting excited about heading down there again. Wait a week or so before you check out my site. It’s pretty ugly, as in primitive, right now. btw, what happened to Honduras? Cheers!

December 21, 2010

Honduras is next! So much to see in Guatemala, I decided to stay a bit longer. The 3 weeks of Spanish classes I took cut into my travel time…

5. Ted Nelson
    December 20, 2010

Cool pic. Is that the volcano you climbed up in the background?

December 20, 2010

Nope, that’s a different one called Agua. There are volcanoes all over the place here in Guatemala!

6. Andi
    December 20, 2010

I LOVED Antigua. I know exactly where this pic was taken. My hotel was right across the street!

7. The Curmudgeon
    December 20, 2010

You’ll have to ask your mother, she may have remembered the earthquake.